08 November, 2007

Quote of the Day: The Right to Free Speech

Why we must protect everyone's right to free speech, especially those whose opinions we disagree with:

'How do I know that I know this, except that I have always been taught this and never heard anything else?'

It is always worth establishing First Principle...

'How can I prove the Earth is round? Am I sure about the Theory of Evolution? I know it is supposed to be true, here's someone who say there's no such thing, it's all Intelligent Design. How sure am I of my own views?'

Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus and the feeling that whatever you think, you're bound to be okay because you're in the safely moral majority.

- Christopher Hitchens, Writer & Journalist,
Debate at Hart House, University of Toronto, 2007

No comments: